Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Grandma Sally- a Breast Cancer Survivor

Since I am currently a partial invalid (thanks to my broken wrist), I thought I would post this cute picture of Dallin with Grandma Sally. This was taken on Christmas Eve. He sure loves his Great-grandma Sally and always makes Great-grandpa Henry read books to him.


So, why am I posting this? I mean really...I do have hundreds (actually thousands) of pictures. Here's the story.

She is a Survivor! Just over a year ago Grandma Sally was diagnosed with breast cancer. She has spent countless hours in doctor's offices, chemo, and all the other fun stuff that is part of a cancer patient's life. She has lost hair and regrown it and lost it and regrown it. She has had fun times feeling sick and tired. Yet, despite the pains and sorrows she has suffered the strength of her spirit won out. I am so proud of her...sitting there smiling, holding my little boy, and well... Surviving!


Tips for lowering your breast cancer risks:
1) exercise- this lowers estrogen and improves your immune system (estrogen triggers tumor growth)
2) eat healthy- diets low in saturated fats and high in fiber help lower estrogen
3) avoid drinking alcohol- higher alcohol consumption is linked with a higher risk of developing breast cancer
4) get off the oral contraceptive- prolonged use has been linked to higher risk
5) do a self-exam on your breasts once a month- checking for lumps, dimpling, discharge, or tissue changes
6) remember your annual check-up!


**EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES**

LINKS
National Breast Cancer Foundation
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive