Friday, August 13, 2010

Canning Apple Pie Filling

This makes, hands down, the best apple pie ever!! It is the only apple pie that disappears in less than 24 hours in my household!


How to can Apple Pie Filling

You will need the following:
7 Quart canning jars
A cold pack canning pot or large stock pot with water 
Around 50 crisp apples peeled and sliced (crisp apples will still be a little crisp in your finished pie)
Syrup (recipe below)

Clean jars and lids. Fill to about an inch from the rim with peeled and sliced apples, pack them in so you can have lots of apples in your pie. Pour the prepared syrup over the apples until the syrup is just 3/4 to an inch from the rim. Get rid of as many bubbles as you can with a knife or canning wand. Place lids and bands on jars until nice and snug (no need to make it super tight). Place in pot with enough hot water to cover jars completely. Allow to process or boil for 20-25 minutes. Remove from water and set on a towel on your counter until the lids pop to seal. Store in a cool dry place.


Syrup recipe:
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
1 Tbsp. cinnamon*
1/4 tsp. cardamom or nutmeg (I personally can't stand nutmeg so I use cardamom)
1 tsp. salt
10 cups water
1/4 cup lemon juice

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the wet. Stir until well dissolved (it will get a light gummy texture).

When baking with this filling just use your favorite crust recipe and bake until the crust is perfectly golden as the apples are already partially cooked.

*If you like lots of cinnamon in your pie add an extra Tbsp. of cinnamon. Jesse is quite the fan of cinnamon, so that's what I do.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This looks AMAZING. I am so jealous of your cooking skills. And now I want apple pie. Thanks a lot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get my hands on some apples and try this! I think it would make big points in my household, too.
    Although with the moving mayhem, it might be next fall...

    ReplyDelete