Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Sweet Potato Rolls

Last week my friend made sweet potato rolls that were so good I just had to try my hand at them. However, since she is out of town and I couldn't find a recipe that sounded like what she described I had to create my own recipe. She had mentioned cardamom and of course, I forgot to add it! (forgetting stuff is my biggest problem when I don't go by a recipe)


I seriously miscalculated how wet the potatoes would be so instead of making 24 rolls it made 40 round rolls. They are fluffy and moist (very much like a regular old potato roll!).

Sweet Potato Roll Recipe
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tblsp. yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup dry powdered milk
5-6 cups flour (or 7 or 8, I sort of lost count)


Activate the yeast in the warm water and sugar. Beat in salt, potato, eggs, butter, powdered milk and 3 cups of flour. Beat for 5 minutes or until smooth and glossy. With dough hook knead in the remaining flour. Your dough should be stiff with a slight stickiness to the touch, maybe due to the starch in the potatoes. It shouldn't stick to your fingers though.



Set in a warm place and let it rise to double. I like to warm my oven up a little until it feels like I could crawl in there to take a nap and put the dough in there.

Punch the dough down and let it rest a few minutes while you butter up a cookie sheet. Roll your little balls of dough and place them about a finger apart from each other on the cookie sheet. I fit all 40 on one large sheet.

Let rise until almost double. Preheat oven to 400. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Brush tops with butter while hot.



Serve with cinnamon honey butter. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment